Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 5th, 2013

Post Mortem for the weekend.

Made sure transmission case was clear of the nasty looking fluid and filled it with the Ford stuff.

Started on what I thought was going to be an easy job. Remove automatic transmission harness and replace it with the manual transmission harness. Several hours later, stereo and changer removed, dash removed. Wires traced to all four corner's of the car. I think I can competently say that there is a variation is wiring from the automatic Scorpio to the manual Scorpio.

Jeff Herson sent me a picture of what we thought should be under the hood:

Image

Observe the nice 8 pin wiring harness that runs right behind the MAP sensor. This car is an 89 factory equipped T9 Scorpio. This is the harness that runs down to the transmission and has the speed sensor, reverse, and I can't remember what the other connector is for.

Here is the same picture, but of my 88 Scorpio, automatic.

Image

After looking through all three sources of information, Shop Manual, Electrical & Vacuum troubleshooting, and the actual wiring diagram, I am fairly certain the 8 pin wiring harness connector does not exist on the automatic transmission Scorpio. There is a 9-pin harness behind the radio (why I took the whole dash apart) that has the relevant wires for the transmission. At this point I decided to combine the two harnesses I had. Take the connectors from the automatic harness and use them on the manual transmission harness. The resulting harness is very long, but I think I can make it work.

Image

Image

At this point I was ready to attach the T9 to the engine. I wrestled the transmission onto my floor jack, got it into relative position and attempted to align the input shaft with the clutch etc.

No matter how I tried, the top of the transmission catches the tunnel before I can get the transmission high enough for the input shaft to enter the clutch. I messed around with it for an hour or more. I am going to get another floor jack tomorrow. With the addition floor jack, I am going to loosen the motor mounts, using the foor jack to support motor and hopefully get the motor to tilt back far enough for me to align the transmission and bolt them together. What a mess. It will probably be late tomorrow night or Tuesday before I can work on it again. Time is running short.

No comments:

Post a Comment