Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 3rd, 2013

Well, I had a couple of Oh Sh*t moments tonight. the first one was when I took the top cover off to fill the transmission with fluid. This is what I found inside it.

Image

I talked to Jeff and after he asked a few people, we hope it is a combination of ATF and gear lube. It looks non-friendly to my untrained eyes. Jeff recommended brake cleaner as a solvent and clean the stuff out of the case. I used 1 3/4 cans this evening. It looks much better. I drained it all out and am letting it sit overnight to dry out. I will check it again in the morning and clean again if necessary.

The second moment of the night was when I discovered a couple of chips on two gears. One is the on the reverse idle gear and the other one is on the input gear at the front of the transmission rail.

Image

Image




I assume (and hope) that an occasional nick is common and it won't effect the operation of the transmission. I am a little more worried about the liquid that came out of the transmission than anything else right now.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better

No comments:

Post a Comment