Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

The first issue I have to deal with on my "new" Scorpio is getting the title situation cleared up. When I picked up the car from Texas, the owner didn't have a title for it. The car was given to him by a neighbor and the neighbor had lost the title. After some research and a couple of helpful conversations with some folks from the Texas Department of Transportation, I have started the process of filing for a "Bonded" Title. Basically kind of like title insurance, but it protects the State of Texas in case a previous owner or leinholder shows up looking for the vehicle after they issue me a title. The vehicle only has 75k on it. The plates that were on the car were last stickered in 1993. The last activity the State of Texas has on the car is 1997. So basically I think it has set for a decade in someones driveway or barn.

I sent a package to a bond company last week complete with a check for the appropriate fees to get the process rolling. I am hopeful that I can file with the State of Texas in the next week or two and get the title issue straightened up.

After I get the title in my posession there are few things I need to do to get it driveable to our DMV for inspection and get it tagged here in Kansas.

1) Replace rear transmission mount. The mount is totally collapsed and the transmission tailshaft is sitting on the crossmember.
2) Replace the "Guibo" a rubber donut looking thing that goes between the transmission and the driveshaft. Its purpose is to dampen any vibration that goes through the driveline.
3) Check all brake and tail lights.
4) Replace hood latch assembly.

That is about it!

When I got the car it wasn't running. The previous owner thought it might be a fuel pump. I used a fuel pressure gauge and verified it had fuel, but there was no spark. I pulled the codes on the vehicle and it showed that the ignition pickup sensor had failed. I swapped the distributor out of my "parts" car and the Scorpio started almost on the first turn of the key.

I will post an update when I get news back from the bond company.

Darren

No comments:

Post a Comment